How to File Your Income Tax Return Online?
Filing your income tax return has become so easy. It can be done online from the comforts of your home, thanks to the internet connectivity.
Before we proceed, have a copy of your Form 16 with you. Your employer would provide you with this form. It contains the details of taxable salary, deductions as well as the tax that you have paid. To get the refunds, then file your returns prior to 31st July.
Filing Income Tax Return Online
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s portal -> incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in
- If you do not have an account, then you can register by clicking Login Here under the New to e-filing tab. Once opened, Select the user type like Individual and click on the submit continue button. Now enter your PAN card number, Surname, Date of birth, mobile number, email id, and click continue. Make sure you provide appropriate information to the Government department.
- After the successful registration, Login using your PAN, password, date of birth. You would also be asked to enter a CAPTCHA code to validate your identity. After you login, click on “View Form 26AS (Tax Credit). You will be taken on to a new page. It would furnish you with the information about the tax paid on your behalf and the value should tally with the amount of tax deducted/deposited on Form No.16. However, if the figures are unmatched, then you might have ended up paying more tax than required. Not to worry, you will get the refund.
- Now proceed to inometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. and login once again. On the right bottom, you would find a Quick e-file ITR-1 under the downloads tab. click Quick e-file ITR-1. Now Select the Assessment Year and select the appropriate Income Tax Return Form. If you are an individual salaried person, then select ITR 2, and then click on the submit button.
- Now, enter your all the details accurately such as your name, surname, address, Income tax ward circle, State, pin code, etc. You can move to the next step after providing all the information.
- One important point to note here is that you have to save the form at regular intervals from now on. The next step is Income Details. Fill up your “Income from Salary”.
- In the next step, named Deductions under Chapter VI A, you will have to give the investment details. It would downsize your amount of taxable income. Your PF contribution, Life Insurance Premium, Housing Loan, etc would come under section 80C.
- Next, you would have to provide Tax Details segment. Input the missing values from Form No. 16. Next is the “Taxes Paid and Verification” part. The refund value will crop up in the D18 block, only if you are eligible for a refund.
- You have to provide bank account number, type of account and IFSC Code to receive the refund. The last step is 80 G, is valid for you if you have contributed any donations. Once you have filled up everything, click on Submit.
Source: Via Techtree